I Want to See You Be Proud!

It’s been a busy few weeks for my Explorer as his first year of school comes to an end. He’s impressed me incredibly this year – with the independent little person he’s become, with how lovingly and sensitively he’s made friends, with how much he’s learned and grown …

Last week he performed in his first-ever talent show, and I watched the shy little guy who used to hide behind me on the sidelines at birthday parties get up in front of his entire school and put his heart into a hula hoop routine he’d been practicing for weeks. He was brilliant! And he was so proud. He was proud of himself and it radiated. My heart was just bursting and my eyes were full of happy tears while I laughed and smiled like crazy, watching him on stage, so content and confident in who he is. The video I took of his performance is shaky – I couldn’t stop my hands from trembling – with excitement, with pride, with joy for this little person I had helped bring into the world.

Today I stood in the back of the room again while he won an award. My wild Explorer was presented with an award for outstanding citizenship. And again, he was so proud of himself. And again, I was so proud of him. There weren’t that many awards presented to the kindergarteners – attendance, citizenship and reading log completion (and given that he was out of school for quite a few sick days and that I have forgotten to turn in about 40% of his reading logs – citizenship was really the only category in which he had any chance at all!).

I know that the world around him may not always celebrate him. He’ll have times in his life where others will make him feel inadequate or inferior. He’ll endure criticism. He’ll endure hardships. He’ll inevitably experience failure and self-doubt. And my heart breaks in my chest so often for all the cruelty and callousness and cold in the world that he has yet to encounter.

So in those moments where he’s celebrated, when his face lights up with pride and confidence and the knowledge of his own precious worth is radiant on his face – I’m overjoyed. I want him to carry that glow with him throughout his life, through all that will come; so that, while the world may try to break him, he’ll stand just as proud, just as solid, just as strong as when he had an auditorium full of his friends, family and classmates cheering him on.

I want to see him be proud, proud of who he is, of how he was created, of his purpose, his uniqueness, his strengths and his abilities. I want to see him be secure in all that he is and all he can do. I want to see that expression of loving himself for exactly who he is on his face throughout all his life – and I want him to know that I am one proud mommy, cheering wildly for him every step of the way!

Linked with:

Best of Worst
Modern Dad Pages
Beau Twins

18 thoughts on “I Want to See You Be Proud!

1. Kat | Beau Twins says:

What a beautiful post. I could feel how proud you are of your son. What a gorgeous boy he sounds too. You will keep him grounded by the sounds of it and he will grow up to be a lovely man. I would too be trembling with excitement when I see my girls perform at school plays when they are older. I burst when they say words or do something new. Thank you so much for linking this beautiful post to #WellbeingWesnesday 🙂 xx

• Claire Louise says:

Thank you so much! I’m always the over-emotional mommy. It’s so amazing to watch them grow. There are the moments that make you want to tear your hair out – but there are moments of such amazing joy! 🙂

2. Linn says:

I really loved this post! It’s so important that our little ones learn to trust themselves and be proud of themselves. Well done to your little Explorer, what achievements! Linn x

• Claire Louise says:

Thank you! I was so incredibly self-conscious and fearful as a child, it makes me so happy when I see my kids confident in who they are. Self-doubt can be so painful – I hope their self-worth is always stronger.

3. Sammy at Seize each day says:

What an absolutely gorgeous post and your love and proud mummy moment shines through – totally adorable. I can remember when my now tween, was in first school and watching him at his plays, sports days etc and having those feelings and tears in my eyes – it’s so special. Watching them develop their personalities is a wonderful thing.
    Glad to have found you.
    #WellbeingWednesday
    Sammy x

• Claire Louise says:

My son has absolutely loved his first year of school! I’m always so emotional about sending my baby out into the world! He’s growing up too fast! I hope your daughter loves school too! 🙂 Thanks so much for reading!

4. Helena Clarke says:

a really lovely, heartwarming post! I agree, it is so wonderful to see them take visible pride in their achievements and I also love seeing them becoming actually people in the big wide world rather than a mini extension of us, their parents. #bestandworst

5. mummyofboygirltwins says:

He sounds fantastic and you are very proud, you can tell. You should be too! My twins make me proud with all their development and day-to-day adventures but I will feel SO proud for sure when they start school and all the achievements they make! Great post 🙂 Jess x #wellbeingwednesday

• Claire Louise says:

It’s so amazing to watch them grow. His kindergarten graduation ceremony is tomorrow night. I’m going to stock up on tissues – I know I’m going to be an emotional wreck! 🙂 He’ll have to get used to me embarrassing him a bit. 🙂

6. Helen Gandy says:

What a lovely post, I feel just like this about my son, I feel I want to protect him from all the cruelty that the world can show but don’t want to stand in his way of achievements and dreams at all. Thanks for linking a lovely post up to the #bestandworst and hope to see you again next week!

Helen X