Letting Kids Partner in the Small Moments

My kids love to help. They love to be included in the process of whatever I’m doing, no matter how small the task. Ever since he was young, my Explorer has loved to wash dishes, vacuum floors and help his dad in the yard. His little brother has followed in his footsteps.

I have to confess that sometimes (perhaps too often) I’m eager to get through one task and onto the next and don’t always feel like welcoming the little helping hands that will inevitably slow my progress. I have much to do, I tell myself. I need to get dinner in the oven quickly because the baby wants to be held, and there are dishes to do, and homework assignments to check, and we’re already behind schedule and will never get to bed on time…..

But when I have the discipline to stop and welcome those curious, eager little helpers into my tasks, there is connection, and teamwork and we all experience lessons learned through living. The kids grow in confidence and enthusiasm and I’m able to engage with them while getting things done. Because laundry and dishes can wait – but not forever. What my kids really want most of all is time with mom and dad, regardless of whether we’re playing with robots or sweeping the patio.

This is a lesson I’m learning. To stop. To welcome. To invest. To live in that moment of connection without hurry or impatience or stress.

We never know how much those moments will mean to our children. Recently, my husband had to make a trip to the dump. It was the last place he wanted to have to go. He considered it a tedious chore… but it was the coolest thing our son had ever seen.

Linked with:

Domestic Momster
The Dad Network

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

A Mama’s Story

thumbnailsize

13 thoughts on “Letting Kids Partner in the Small Moments

1. Jessie says:

I also find it hard to slow down and let them help. Sometimes it’s so rewarding to do so that I wonder why I ever do things alone and then other times I feel justified in my want to rush through things on my own. If only they had an indicator on which way it would go *before* we started! ๐Ÿ™‚

• growingwildones says:

That would be perfect!!! My whole life would be dramatically improved by a warning indicator light for my kids’ moods!! How can we make this happen??

2. Trista, Domesticated Momster says:

What a wonderful message. I too am guilty of not wanting them to help me and to just move out of the way and go play but occasionally(need to make it more) I do include them with whatever task is at hand. Last weekend we planted a garden and the joy on my 5 years old face as he was helping me and when we were done and he saw his accomplishment was simply priceless…something that as a mother you only wish for your children to be that happy and excited always. And everyday he has reminded me that we need to go and water the garden. Makes me proud to know that he takes pride in his work. Thanks for sharing this with #momsterslink. Hope to see you again next Friday.

• Claire Louise says:

That is so sweet!!! One of my son’s favorite things to do is help his dad in the yard. They just thrive on it!!! I agree that it’s so priceless to see them feel proud of themselves after helping with a project. Those are the best moments!!!

3. Talya says:

Such a lovely post and it’s true – we should let children enjoy the moment and get involved and slow down so that they can do – although I have to remind myself of this on a constant basis! #momsterslink

4. martyn says:

Great post. I do such with the boys and usually through combining home school so they have a lot of personal interaction and responsibilities etc but I am also guilty of rushing and doing something myself at the same time. Something that I’m trying to change. Thanks for linking up with us on the #bigfatlinky hope to see you there this week

• Claire Louise says:

That’s awesome! ๐Ÿ™‚ I always feel like I’m trying to squeeze a day’s worth of interaction in at the end of the work/school day. I’m working hard to intentionally make that time as valuable as possible for the kids.

5. Karen @ mummy do it says:

Great lesson we need reminded of often. To slow down and see the world from our children’s eyes, and allow them to ‘help’ rather than rushing through our tasks. Thanks for sharing with the #BlogFair. Hope you can visit again this week.

• Claire Louise says:

Thank you so much! Thanks for reading. This is a lesson I’m trying to put into practice every day – rushing feels more natural to me & I have to constantly remind myself to slow down.

6. Beth says:

Love this. I feel exactly the same when it comes to tea time. I just want things done quickly so I can move on to the next thing that needs doing.

thanks so much for linking up with #justanotherlinky